A water distillation unit is a gadget or a piece of equipment that is used to distill water. Distillation is a water purification process whereby heavy metals, micro-organisms and other salts are removed from your drinking water.
One of the most important factors to consider when buying a water distillation unit is the size. The way of determining the size is the number of hours it takes for the water distillation unit to produce a gallon of distilled water. For instance a water distillation unit that produces 1 gallon in 3.5 hours is bigger than one that produces 1 gallon in 5 hours.
The Mini-Classic CT counter-top water distillation unit is an ideal system for a small family. It produces 1 gallon of purified distilled water in approximately 3.5 hours. This amount of water is enough to provide pure drinking water for a small family of up to 3 people.
In this review, I will focus on the features, specifications, pros and cons of the Mini-Classic CT.
How the water distillation unit works.
Pour regular tap water into the boiling chamber.
The heating element boils the contaminated water until steam is produced and rises into the condensing coils. At this stage, all impurities like heavy metals and micro-organisms are left behind in the boiling chamber.
A fan at the top of the distillation unit cools down the steam in the condensing coils back to liquid form. The distilled water produced is pure and 99.9% contaminant free.
In operation, make sure the top of the distiller is free from any obstruction to allow for free airflow. Free airflow makes the fan perform its cooling job easier.
The glass storage bottle that comes with the distillation unit, stores up to 1 gallon of distilled water at any given time.
The distilled water in the glass bottle is then dispensed via the pour-through lid.
- Dimensions:5 x 9.9 x 15.7 inches. This is really compact.
- The shipping weight around 31.4 pounds or ~14 KGs. However the item itself weighs around 24 lbs or 11 KGs.
- The total wattage of this water distillation unit is 800 Watts, which is efficient for its size. Depending with where you stay in the US, the cost of making 1 gallon of distilled water might cost somewhere around 24 cents.
- Complies with US standards, it should be plugged into a 120 Volt socket.
- The boiling chamber is removable, so it becomes easy to fill it with water and to clean out residues.
- Produces one gallon of pure water every 3.5 hour cycle. Can make up to 6 gallons per day provided you wake up in the middle of the night to manually fill the boiling chamber. Overheating may come as a result of it working around the clock. So practically it can produce 3 or 4 gallons max per day.
- The glass storage container is a perfect fit in your refrigerator; it blends in well with the inside of most refrigerators.
- The water distillation unit is made out of stainless steel. The stainless steel makes it durable and dependable.
- A timer is installed to makes sure that the distiller switches off automatically when the distillation cycle is over.
- The system has a continuous self-sterilization feature. You should be almost 99.9 % sure you are getting pure water which is free from disease causing micro-organisms.
- The shut-off switch is an added layer of safety on the water distillation unit that allows the switching off of the unit should it ever overheat.
- A purity vent on the unit allows VOCs, organic and inorganic compounds to escape. Chlorine and other volatile elements are eliminated through via this vent.
- An activated carbon post-filter is included with the unit. Any gaseous carryover that would have withstood the vigorous water distillation stages is then removed out of the distilled water using the post-filter. The post filter also enhances taste.
- The stainless steel filter tray houses the filter pillow. This ensures that your distilled water never comes into contact with plastic.
- Up to 15 years guarantee.15 years on the stainless steel parts and 2 years on the electrical components of the water distillation unit. The electrical components include the fan. The guarantee doesn’t cover the filters and neither does it cover the glass jar.
- Easy to transport
- No installation required
- If you are not connected to a water line, don’t worry. You can manually fill the boiling chamber.
- It is aesthetically pleasing. This is because of the stainless steel body and the glass storage jar.
- Can be stored neatly on a counter-top for easy reach.
- It is made in the US, it is a high quality appliance and easy to use. If you live in the US, it is easy to get replacement parts as these can be found locally.
- Distilled water doesn’t come into contact with plastic. Plastic micro particles have been touted as carriers for toxins to enter the human body.
- Removes all water hardening minerals (calcium and magnesium), leaving you with soft water. Don’t worry about remineralization as the amount of the healthy minerals (calcium and magnesium) in water is very little as compared to your daily requirements of these minerals. Your body needs about 1000 mg of calcium per day and yet hard water can provide a max of 72 mg per liter. You get your daily requirements from the food you eat every day.
- The water distillation unit is little bit pricier as compared to other counter-top water distillers out there.
- Doesn’t have auto-fill feature, you have to manually fill the boiling chamber .This limits the capacity of the unit. Ideally it is supposed to produce 6 gallons of distilled water per day. In reality the water distillation unit produces 3 or 4 gallons max as it is not practical to wake up in the middle of the night to fill the boiling chamber. So the unit won’t produce distilled water all day long because of this limitation.
This water distillation unit is ideal for:
- A single user
- A small family of not more than 3 people.If you are a family of more than 3 people,the best water distiller that i recommend for you is the Durastill 12 gallon automatic fill machine.
- For renters.It is easy to transport when you change houses.This is because the water distillation unit is compact.
- RVers as it is compact and easy to transport. This water distillation unit can work provided the RV has A/C electricity enough to power a heating element.
Maintenance of the water distillation unit
- The self-sterilization feature ensures that your machine is free from any bacterial growth.
- Make sure you clean the inside of the boiling chamber every time you fill it with tap water.
- Clean the boiling chamber with 2 or 3 cups of vinegar, at least once a week.This is done to remove the entire residue.
The Mini -Classic CT is an aesthetically pleasing water distillation unit that produces enough water for a single user or a small family of up to 3 people. The stainless steel makes this unit a durable water purification appliance that you will cherish for many years if not decades to come.
The compact size makes it easy to transport it around, making it ideal for renters and those who are always on the move.
The 15 year guarantee is one of the reasons why so many people are buying the unit in stores and online.
The maintenance work needed to make this system function for years is very minimal.
The lack of an auto-fill feature limits its actual capacity.
The cost of acquiring this unit is a little bit more than the standard price of most counter-top water distillers. The reason why it is more expensive than other counter –top distillers is that it is very durable.
In my opinion, this is one of the best water distillers out there. I don’t hesitate to recommend this appliance to anyone looking for a compact and durable water distillation unit. I give this unit an overall rating of 4.5/5.
If you would like to see another water distillation which is even more portable and cheaper,checkout the Megahome water distiller